I am The Way, the Truth, and the Life
Theme: Knowing Christ
Question to ask: Do you know Christ?
I. KNOWING JESUS VS. KNOWING ABOUT JESUS
Jesus responded to this question in Matthew 7:21-23: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of Haven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons, and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
Also, Jesus said in Matthew 15:8-9, “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.”
We can appreciate the facts of Jesus’ death and resurrection, but until we have made Him our Lord, the facts do us no good. “…For God did not send His Son to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” (John 3:16-18).
“To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever, believes in Him will receive remission of sins,” (Acts 10:43).
“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved,” (Romans 10:9).
Knowing Christ is essential for life. Why would that be? Because the Bible says, “All things were created through Him and for Him,” (Colossians 1:16).
Why did God create us? Short answer, for His pleasure, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being,” (Revelation 4:11).
Finally, the Devil, Satan himself knows who Jesus is, “…What do you want from me Son of the Most High God. In God’s name, don’t torture me!” (Mark 5:6-7).
II. THE SEVEN I AM RECORDED IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
In his opening statement, the Apostle John focuses on the deity of Jesus Christ. John Chapter 1 says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him, nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.”
In the later chapters, John recorded radical statements given by Jesus Himself. During His sermon on the Mount, Matthew Chapter 5:17, Jesus said that He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill them. Then He said, “You have heard that it’s been said, but I say to you that I AM.
Here in Chapter 14, we are introduced to the 6th I AM, “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.
A. I AM STATEMENTS IN THE GOSPEL:
- John 6:35, “I AM the bread of life.” (Many had left)
- John 8:12, “I AM the light of the world.”
- John 10:9, “I AM the door.”
- John 10:11, “I AM the good shepherd.”
- John 11:25, “I AM the resurrection and the life.”
- John 14:6, “I AM the way, the truth and the life.”
- John 15:1, “I AM the vine.”
III. “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE”
Jesus was sent on a mission by His Father, destined for the cross on Calvary. Jesus said in John 12:27, “For this purpose, I came to this hour.”
A. THE WORLD IN NEED OF A SAVIOR. WHY IS THAT?
- Eternal Separation from God – Romans 3:23
- Dead spread to all, “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.” (Romans 5:12)
- Wrath of God – To satisfy, sin punishable by death (Romans 6:23).
B. THE SITUATION (Read John 14:1-6)
- The disciples were with troubled heart.
- How do you heal a troubled heart
C. JESUS DELIVERED SOME DEVASTING NEWS
- That one of them is going to betray Him,
- That He was going away to a place where the other disciples could not go to,
- And to make matters worse, Peter would deny Him three times.
All of these was overwhelming to the disciples. They were confused. They were fearful, they were angry. They were unsettled. They were as it says here, troubled.
The word “troubled” means – to be distressed, to be anxious, to be struck with fear. The disciples were troubled. How do I know? Chapter 14 verse 1 says so.
(Let’s read our scriptural passage)
D. RADICAL STATEMENT BY JESUS:
- “I AM THE WAY”
- Distinguished Himself as the only exclusive way. No other path to heaven, no other way the Father.
- Apostle Peter said it much in the same way in the book of Acts 4:12, he says, “Nor is there salvation in another, for there is no other name given under heaven whereby you must be saved.” There is only one name, one way to get to heaven. Jesus didn’t say, I am one of many ways to heaven.
- Example: Hearing before Congress, Bernie Sanders going at a Christian who was selected to be in an office. Bernie concluded, “This man is not fit to hold the office.”
- “I AM THE TRUTH”
- Again, He emphasized that He is the only truth that there is.
- Sermon on the mount when Jesus was presenting the Law to those who were listening, “You have heard that it’s been said,” and then Jesus said, “But I say to you as the authority on the truth, because He is the truth, this is what I say to you.”
- Jesus claimed to be the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets. Authoritative standard of righteousness.
- Jesus as in the incarnate word, John 1:1, the source of all truth.
- Many people can tell you about the truth, but only Jesus could say, He is the truth.
- “I AM THE LIFE”
- When Jesus said, I am the life, He meant both the physical life and the spiritual life. He made a similar statement in the previous chapter at the grave site where Lazarus was, He said, “I am the resurrection and the life.”
- John 1 says, Jesus is the life, and in Him was the light of man.
- John 5 says, just as the Father has life in Himself, so has granted the Son to have life in Him
- John 1 says, “He who has the Son, has life. He who does not have the Son, does not have life.
- Jesus is the source of life, both physical and spiritual life.
- And this is the sixth I AM statement of Jesus.
If you are here today with a troubled heart, this message is for you. Why? Because here in Chapter 14, Jesus has remedy for your troubles.
A. GOOD NEWS – REMEDIES PROVIDED BY JESUS (Read John 14:1-6)
- Mansions in my Father’s house (v2)
- I will go and prepare a place for you. (v3)
- I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (v3)
- Where I go, you know, and the way you know. (v4)
- Thomas asked question. (v5)
- I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (V6)
B. FAITH IS THE KEY WORD
- “Without Faith, it is impossible to please God,” (Hebrews 11:6).
- “Therefore, since we have been justified through FAITH, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus,” (Romans 5:1).
- “That is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation,” (2 Corinthians 5:19).
- “But God demonstrated His own love toward us in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8).
- “Since we have now been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through Him!” (Romans 5:9)